Saturday, July 19, 2014

Beer-Battered Chicken and Cornmeal-Herb Waffles

I'd never before had chicken and waffles, vegan or otherwise. But I'd been dreaming of savory waffles for ages, so when I visited my mom (who, unlike me, has a waffle iron), this seemed like a very good idea.

I adapted two recipes from the venerable vegan brunch cookbook: Using trader joe's "chickenless strips" instead of tofu, I made the beer-battered tofu recipe, and I also made the cornmeal waffles, reducing the sugar and adding some herbs.

This was delicious--the beer batter was fantastic--but it also felt really unhealthy. I'd definitely want to serve it with some greens next time. I also wasn't sure what to do about sauce: maple syrup was out, since I don't really like sweet things; maybe gravy? Spicy gravy? Something other than the abortive spurt of sriracha with which these chicken and waffles are pictured below.






No comments: