Thursday, September 19, 2013

Wilted Asian Greens Salad with Sesame, Ginger, and Avocado

I picked up watercress and some other unusual green (at right--what is it??) at the Hollywood farmers market and set about looking for a new way to eat these greens. After considering this avocado and watercress salad, I settled on this wilted greens salad--though I ended up throwing some avocado in there anyway. I didn't have any pea sprouts, so I just used peas! Obviously that's something of a change, but I liked their texture.

Ever since I made that frighteningly bad nasturtium and potato soup, that bitter flavor in nasturtium leaves and watercress has seemed a bit iffy to me, but this salad was delicious, the bitterness nicely balanced by sugar, ginger, avocado, and sesame. I ate this dish with rice, roasted tempeh, and roasted mushrooms.



Wilted Asian Greens Salad with Sesame, Ginger, and Avocado
(adapted from epicurious)

Ingredients
1-2 TB rice vinegar
1 TB soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tsp sesame oil
1.5 c green peas, thawed or fresh
2 c watercress
2 c mild baby green (see top photo for what I used)
1 avocado, diced
1 TB toasted sesame seeds

Instructions
Heat vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and sesame oil in a small saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved (do not let boil). Pour hot dressing over greens in a large bowl and toss well. Toss in avocado as well, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve immediately. Serves 2.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds really really delicious. I seem to be on a sesame seed kick today, as I've already had sushi with plenty of sesame seeds, as well as toast loaded with tahini, this would finish off my day nicely!