Monday, January 21, 2013

Roasted Yukon Potatoes and Cremini Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions and Truffle Oil

Oh man. The controversy about truffle oil.

I bought some. It's a mixture of actual truffle pieces and the much reviled "natural truffle flavor." And I will indeed use it from time to time for its deliciousness.

There once was a time when I prided myself on knowing how gauche it was to drink a cappuccino after 11 a.m. Silly Brits (I was living in London at the time), thinking they're so sophisticated when they're actually doing it all wrong!

With the exception of celebrity chefs, cultural gatekeepers, and generally unhappy people.... No one gives a fuck.

Anyway, here's yet another mushroom and potato recipe, this time with truffle oil. I added the mushrooms to the original recipe, and I used some smoked salt as well.




Roasted Yukon Potatoes and Cremini Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions and Truffle Oil


Ingredients

1 lb small, waxy potatoes, scrubbed, quartered
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 large yellow onion, peeled, thinly sliced
3 TB olive oil
smoked salt and freshly ground black pepper
several shakes of white truffle oil, about 1/2 teaspoon (less is more!)

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Put potatoes, mushrooms, and onions in a sturdy roasting pan. Pour olive oil over them and toss well to coat. Liberally grind salt and pepper over the potatoes and onions. Spread the veggies out so they are in a single layer in the pan. Place in oven. Cook for 40 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned and cooked through.
2. Before serving, sprinkle with truffle oil and toss to coat. Serves 4.

*

A few more recipes I may try: I just made my first risotto in years, and I want to try one with dried mushrooms and/or truffle oil, like this one with leeks and shiitakes, or this one with several kinds of mushroom.

I'm also still thinking about the seared risotto cakes Zippy and I had in our surprisingly great dinner at the Cambria Pines Lodge Restaurant awhile back.

*

And here's a table of party snacks.


1 comment:

narf7 said...

My son bought my daughters a gourmet hamper for Christmas that contained black truffle oil. They didn't like it much but I loved it. I, like you, sprinkled it on things sparingly and enjoyed it a lot. I love the look of this recipe. If I hadn't hoovered down all of the truffle oil I might actually have made it :)