Sunday, November 13, 2011

Braised Cabbage with Chorizo

This recipe is easy and delicious.  I used oregano instead of thyme, as that seemed to go better with chorizo, but otherwise, I kept Janet's recipe mostly as it was.  I did try to saute the cabbage a little before adding liquid, as I thought this might add some toasty caramelly nutty flavors.  Who knows... but I do know that 2 c broth was too much for me; I ended up having to drain the dish at the end (though the excess liquid made for some delicious rice).  Finally, my chorizo was so spicy that I didn't add any other chili flakes.  I used the chorizo sausages (oh no, is that like how English people say "challah bread"?) I made a few weeks ago--they froze and thawed beautifully.

Next I would like to try this recipe with Italian sausage and thyme instead of chorizo and oregano.

Braised Cabbage with Chorizo Seitan Sausage
(from taste space)

Instructions
1 TB olive oil
1.5 c seitan sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick 
4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp dried oregano
chili flakes, to taste
1-2 c vegetable broth
1 lb green cabbage, thinly sliced (~4 cups; I used half a cabbage)
1/4 tsp salt (optional, to taste)

Instructions
1. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute the sausage in the olive oil until lightly browned, around 3 minutes on each side.
2. Add the garlic, oregano, and chili flakes and saute for another minute.
3. Add the cabbage and saute briefly, then deglaze with some vegetable broth.  Add salt to taste. Cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cabbage should be tender with a bit of a bite to it. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.  Serves 4.

*

I also made pumpkin pie one morning.  Stress baking WHAT


3 comments:

wdn th said...

OMG THANK U SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
(u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

janet @ the taste space said...

I love how this recipe seems so simple but it is so good! It is totally dependent on the sausage though, which adds a big flavour boost. Love your idea for the Italian flavours, though. :)

Farrah P said...

This sounds delicious. I love the flavor combinations!